We’re looking for a talented software engineer to work on our exciting SaaS products that make use of insights identified by our data scientists to help small business owners understand their insurance risks.
About the role
As a software engineer you’ll be working on helping us to build the next generation of our product suite. We’re looking to move our hybrid architecture onto the next stage of growth, so we need a someone who can see where we want to be and help us move towards that future. Our software engineers have a wide-ranging remit, from building out the front-end with our Product team, through designing and architecting our microservice-based backend and working with our Data Science team on integrating exciting new models, to working directly with our growing customer list. You’ll be reporting directly to our Head of Engineering and have the ability to propose a new direction or feature and work with the team to achieve it - we want thinkers and doers, not worker drones. As we’re a growing start-up, we don’t like to pigeon hole people so expect the freedom to try a number of different things.
Who we are
Digital Fineprint is a multi-award winning insurtech start-up based in the heart of London. Our mission is to deliver ground breaking Insurance Analytics Software that helps protect all small businesses. We are a well-funded start-up with investment from Pentech Ventures (the first investors in Nutmeg and FanDuel), Eos Venture Partners, and FOM Capital. Our client list is growing and already includes insurers such as Hiscox, QBE and Zurich’s subsidiary Tennyson. Our leadership team has extensive experience and comes from a background in private equity, data science, development, and technology (Amazon, Twitter, Sovereign Capital). Digital Fineprint launched out of Oxford University in 2016 and has grown steadily in the time since.
Tech you’ll be working with
Our tech stack is always maturing, and we believe that using the right tool for the job is more important than adhering to any specific language, but at the moment we mostly use Python (Flask), React, Sass, RabbitMQ, MongoDB, PHP (Laravel), and a few other bits. We make use of AWS and Azure to host our products and services and are always looking for ways to improve our tech and processes.
We’re looking for someone who can come in, make a difference, and increase the skill and strength of the team. We value the ability to get things done over most and would like to see evidence that you can do this. Some of the specific things that we’d like to see from you are:
- Demonstrable experience with a modern development language, ideally Python or PHP7, but as long as you understand low-level concepts we’re sure you can learn quickly
- A desire to explore both front-end and back-end development
- Clear evidence that you are always looking to develop your skills
- A few years of commercial development experience
We’d be even happier if you had some, or even all, of the following:
- Knowledge of the Flask Python framework
- Experience with the Laravel PHP framework
- Exposure to AWS and/or Microsoft Azure, especially in any DevOps capacity
- Understanding of modern agile methodologies (we use Scrum and Kanban across our teams)
- Any experience with databases, both relational and NoSQL, and the tools and languages used with them
- Exposure to a microservice-based architecture
- Experience of creating RESTful web services, and using other publicly available APIs
We can offer you the opportunity to work in an exciting and growing arena with exposure to our Data Science team and their techniques. You will form part of an enthusiastic and exciting team who are all really easy to get on with. We offer a competitive salary and a range of benefits, including:
- Flexible working
- Subsidised gym
- Workplace health coaching
- Share options scheme
- Pension scheme
- Free drinks and treats
- Cycle2Work scheme
- Software credits
- Allowance for learning
- 23 days off + bank holidays
- Board game tournaments
- Regular team lunches and other team events
- The fast-paced, exciting start-up life
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.
(Please note that we don't work with recruitment agencies/IT contract firms/outsourcing partners, as we do all our recruitment and development in-house.)